#PhDone: Thank-yous and What's Next

 

an open hardback book lying on a closed hardback book on a wooden surface. There is a golden light surrounding them and some sparkles.

Whew. That’s it. My PhD is done and my thesis, Contemporary Feminist Adaptations of Greek Myth, is out in the world


A blog post seemed fitting, since I started this blog only a month after I started the PhD, I did a post when I submitted my thesis, and one when I passed my viva. I worked really hard on my corrections, and now they’ve been accepted and I’m actually 100% DONE. 


Honestly, I’m not sure if I’ll go to my graduation or not, but whatever I decide, I’m now Dr. Shelby Judge.



I do feel triumphant, but mostly I just feel grateful. Grateful that I had the opportunity to do this, grateful that I managed to do it in the face of so much adversity, and truly so grateful to all the people who have helped me to get here. With that in mind, I thought I would share the acknowledgements from my PhD thesis. 


I’ll also attempt to answer that dreaded question “What’s Next?”.


 


Acknowledgements 

I would like to extend thanks to the following people for their support.

First and foremost, thank you to my excellent supervisor Dr. Helen Stoddart, who has always motivated me and pushed me to make this thesis as good as it could be. I would also like to thank the other brilliant academics in the School of English at the University of Glasgow, who were always enthusiastic about my project. Particular thanks go to Dr. Laura Rattray – you are kind and encouraging, and the Transatlantic Literary Women meetings truly got me through the first lockdown. Thanks, too, to my students in English Literature and Comparative Literature throughout the years. I must also acknowledge the wonderful community I have found over on #ClassicsTwitter.


I would like to thank my family. Particularly my mum, Caroline Judge, who will undoubtedly say “I hope you’re proud of yourself, because I am proud of you” upon the completion of this PhD. She says it when I get degrees, when I bake something that looks nice, or when I find a moderately good deal in the supermarket. To my cousins: I’m sorry that I never grew out of being the weird one, and I will never stop bringing books to family events. I want to thank those who are closest to me, especially Jemma, Tyler & Eshvari, Chiara, and Ben. I love you all. I couldn’t have done it without you all and, more than that, I wouldn’t want to.


In loving memory of Dr. Katherine Heavey, my PhD supervisor, teaching mentor, and friend. You were always so generous with your time and books, and unerringly kind and patient. You had a truly brilliant mind and a real zest for teaching, the latter of which you passed on to me.


To my late nan. You were my best friend, from the day I was born until the day we said goodbye. I genuinely do not know how I get through a single day without you, but I do know that I carry you with me in everything I do, and I am infinitely better for having known you.


In terms of dedication... this one’s for me. And my dog, Kim. 

A brown jack russell dog with a grey muzzle curled up asleep. One ear is up and one ear is down.


A brown jack russell dog with a grey muzzle lying on a lilac pillow. She is looking into the camera, alertly. One ear is up and one ear is down.



So, what’s next? 


“GET A JOB” I hear you cry. 

“I’m trying!” I reply. 


I’m currently in the process of applying for postdoctoral research fellowships and lectureships. It’s tough out there (academia is a notoriously nightmarish job market) but I’m trying my best. 


I’m also working on some publications, which will hopefully help with the above, as well as trying to put together a monograph proposal.


I’m also continuing to teach for the time being at the University of Glasgow, on the modules: Novel & Narratology (English Literature), Heroic Women (Comparative Literature), Introduction to Literary Criticism & Theory (Comparative Literature). If you think those modules sound very cool… you’re absolutely right. If you don’t, honestly you might be in the wrong place. 


On a more personal note, I’m rediscovering my love of libraries and reading, and trying to take walks in parks as much as the dreich Scottish weather allows.  


P.S. Don’t worry, this blog isn’t going anywhere. I’m going to keep posting my research, academic updates, and book reviews. Thank you all for your continued interest in me and my work! ♥️

Comments